Friday, October 16

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ISAAC!

Today is Isaac's THIRD birthday! WOW, those three years sure flew by fast! I remember the night I got the call from Jodi that Isaac had been born and he was ours and we could pick him up from the hospital "in the morning." I couldn't sleep all night, just dreaming about what he would look like, what he would be like, and where had he been?? We'd been waiting for 5 long, painful, disappointing years and yet that all went away because he was HERE!

The day we picked Isaac up from the hospital looked just like today. Blue skies, piles of leaves all over my back patio, warm weather, spectacular colors and smells of fall. What a fabulous time of year to come into the world. I looked outside this morning and saw Isaac's tricycle and hitched up wagon full of apples and that picture is SO HIM! He loves that little wagon where he can carry his treasures of rocks, or cars, or trucks, or leaves, or yogurt..whatever he seems to need..to wherever he needs to take these things. He is growing into a little person with his own ideas and imagination and stories to tell. What a difference he has made in our lives! We love you Isaac!!



Yesterday at preschool they had a little "Celebration of Life" ceremony. They have this sun puzzle that they put on the carpet and place the names of all the months of the year around the sun. There is a big orange candle sphere in the middle of the sun. Then they gave Isaac a ball that looked like the earth and he walked around the sun, while everyone sang, three times. Each time, I got to tell the kids about a milestone in his life at age 1, age 2, and now at age 3. Then we had blueberry muffins for a treat.




Here's Isaac with is friend George. Cute? or what?


This morning, he opened his presents. We kept telling him this week that his birthday was coming, so today he was pretty excited to open presents. He got a Thomas the Train set and he went NUTS! He played with that train on his little table ALL DAY! Marion came later and brought him a big truck, which he played with for a few hours before dinner. He is ALL BOY!



 



I had this grand plan to make this cute Fire Truck Cake... but I needed an assistant or something today. My first cake sank in the middle so I had to make another one. I didn't have time for that mistake. Then,  I was thinking that black shoelace licorice would be so easy to use for the wheels, just wrap it around and around in a circle, instead of black frosting. WRONG! It was such a MESS. The licorice kept getting caught in the frosting.. and so it didn't quite meet my high standards of the perfect cake, but Isaac loved it!! I was so happy that he didn't have ANY expectations! The candles were fire hydrants and a fireman's hat and he wanted to blow out his candles a few times! Grandmas and Grandpas Swan & Anderson and Melanie and Izzy brought him different accessories for his train...some more trains, a bridge, and a crossing station. Cathie & Emma brought him a Thomas balloon that he loved! He learned quickly that every time the doorbell rang, a present for him was on the other side. That was a riot!! I think he had a REALLY GREAT day!!



 

 


I love age 3. When Olivia was three, I wanted to FREEZE her forever. Thank heaven Kent has her life on videotape so we can relive any period of her life, her voice, her stories to the camera, and the goings on of her life. I wished I had kept a journal about being 3 with Olivia. I just kept thinking I would remember it all. But there are so many memories to keep track of, I just can't remember all of the funny things she said like I thought I would be able to do. So I am going to keep a 3-year-old journal for Isaac. I know he will make so many developmental changes this year and I want to really remember how his language develops and how things change for him as he leaves the toddler years for the little boy years...years full of trains and cars and planes and "guys" and little boy wonders galore. I cannot imagine my life without this sweet little curious George in my life.

Three of my favorite things about Isaac:
1. He is HAPPY all the time! He is a happy boy from sunup to sundown. He can always find the humor and joy in everything. He LOVES people! He laughs at everything funny! I hope this is a permanent personality trait!! I love being around him! He is a blast!!
2. He is so CURIOUS! He just has to see how things work, where they go, what is under there, over there, inside of that, how does this work? I love it! Nothing gets past him. ever!
3. He has COMPASSION already at this young age. Sure, he'll bop you on the head with a block, but quickly realizes that it wasn't such a good idea, and then showers those he's bopped with kisses, hugs, and loves until he's satisfied that everything is okay. Sweet boy!!

Three of my worries about Isaac:
1. Will he every speak English completely and normally?
2. Will he ever fully appreciate how lucky he is to have Olivia for his sister?
3. When he grows up, will he forget about his mama?

Happy Birthday Isaac William... WE LOVE YOU!!

No comments: