Today I attended a funeral for a true angel. This sweet lady in our ward passed away and I'm certain she was able to fly on her angel wings into the highest courts in heaven. Her funeral was full of stories about her amazing life. As I listened and learned, I was touched at how many difficulties she had, heartache and disappointment too, and yet what a powerful influence she was for good in so many others' lives. As I listened to her beautiful daughters pay tribute to her, as well as her beautiful grand daughters, I was moved by her legacy. The music that was sung was inspiring. The music that was played on both the organ and the piano, as well as the violin, were moving. Sitting in a room, full of nothing but pure love for a woman who lived a pure and true life was just incredible. Paying tribute to one who truly understood and lived the Plan of Salvation was inspiring. On the stand sat her step son, Elder Henry B. Eyring, and next to him sat the Prophet of God, and next to him sat Elder Uchtdorf, and next to him sat Elder Russell Nelson. It was really quite incredible.
Never have I sat two rows away from the entire First Presidency of the church. (Although in Ecuador, Kent and I did sit 7 rows away from President Hinckley and his counselors in the last dedicatory session of the Quayaquil Temple Dedication... that was pretty amazing too, I must say.) Today was special because it was so incredible that the Prophet and Elder Uchtdorf were there to support Elder Eyring. What a great thing to see! After the family filed out of the chapel, the Prophet was there to shake hands with any of us who were gathered to meet and maybe even touch him. I had just spent an hour basking in the spoken words and music honoring this woman and imagining her life beyond the veil--happily home and in the arms of those who have passed on before. I imagined her in the presence of the Savior and what a welcome home hug she must have received from her Father above. So when the Prophet held out his hand to me, I'm sure I violated all rules of engagement and protocol, but I reached out to hug him. I knew I would probably not ever get the chance again to be so close to him and I imagined how it would be to touch the Savior. What a moment that was. Elder Uchtdorf also got a hug and their graciousness and love was just incredible to those of us who stood there to see them and greet them. WOWOWOW! What a day!!!
Today was a day that I didn't "count on" or "count down to" or even wait for. In fact, I was not even planning on attending the funeral, but got home from class too late last night to attend the viewing, so I changed my mind. Today was just one of those days that counted. It counted to show up. It counted to be in the right place at the right time. It counted to cancel a stupid meeting and rearrange my plans to show support for Joan and honor her sweet mother. Ironically, I got so much more out of the experience than I could have ever imagined. I will always remember what tender mercies I have experienced this week, in spite of the challenges that swirl around me in other areas of my life.
Life is truly an E-ticket ride. Ups and downs and more ups and downs. Yet, what really counts are the things that move us beyond the day-to-day earthly "have-to-do-lists" to be in places that remind us that there is so much more beyond our lists. Showing up to the right things, for the right reasons, is what really counts. Being a person that other people can count on counts. Seeking out people and situations that uplift and build faith and inspire us to be better than we are, are the things that count. Having hope for a better day, faith that things will work out, and charity and compassion for others all count.
I thought today of that saying.. "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the number of moments that take your breath away." That is for sure! Today was one of those days!
I think this Christmas, I am going to focus on the things that count. Rather than counting the days until... something. Or wishing for..... something. Or waiting for..... something. I'm going to make each day I have count. After all, all we really have is today. And making each day we have count is what it is all about.

No comments:
Post a Comment