Monday, December 1

Are you 8 or 14?

December 1, 2008

When I look at this photo of Olivia that I just took yesterday, I see glimpses of her at 14. It's scary! I want both of them to stay little so much longer!

I was up in the attic tonight, getting down all the Christmas decorations. I found a box with some of Olivia's baby clothes, mostly my favorite little sun dresses that she used to wear when she was about 6-9 months old. I guess I saved them in case we got another girl. But now that we have Isaac, I guess I can let them go; reluctantly I will. I have saved a few things from Olivia's toddler years: all of her barbies and some toys that remind me so much of those sweet days when she filled every purse she could find with treasures. I found a pair of her red boots that she wore when she was 2 and thought of how fast that time went by. It seems like yesterday we were shoveling the old deck with our SLC 2002 Olympic Berets on and it's almost been 6 years already!! Yikes!

I find myself trying to memorize everything about Isaac at age 2! I know it won't be long before I will turn around and he will be 8 and then HE will be insisting that "I can climb that ladder and get the Christmas decorations down myself!" I love it when, all of a sudden, he gets some little idea in his head and in a flash, he has disappeared into his room for about 5 minutes. Then he comes out with a different stash of cars, or farm animals, or books, or balls, and has thought of another way to play with them. I just know that there are all of these little ideas going on in his head and yet he doesn't even know yet that he has ideas. I love watching him figure stuff out. It's fun to tell Olivia that she was the same way when she was 2, except that she could completely communicate and tell me everything that was going on in her head, unlike her babbling brother. One day he will speak English and then all that I imagine that he is thinking will be revealed. For now, I just like to imagine what is going on in his little brain! I just love watching him be two.

Plus, the funnest thing is that Christmas is coming and Isaac doesn't even know what Christmas is! He certainly can't remember last year! I love watching him discover it though!! Last year we didn't get a tree, so we'll see how that goes this year! Watching his eyes light up when Olivia shows him each little Christmas ornament, all of the nativity scene characters, and all of the other little surprises that come in each forgotten box is such a BLAST!! How could it possibly get better than this?? I know it doesn't! I'm just thankful for each day with them!

No comments: