Saturday, November 21

There Are Angels Among Us

This morning I opened up the newspaper and found that my friend from years ago had passed away unexpectedly. A flood of memories filled my heart and my mind as I reflected on the angel this man was in my life and the impact he had with just a chance meeting on an airplane nearly 20 years ago.

I had just lost my best friend in a horrible accident. I flew down to San Diego for the memorial services and it was a very sad few days. At the same time, my body was very sick with something that had not been diagnosed. So getting on the airplane back to SLC was very difficult for me. I was wondering, "What is going to happen now? I've go to go home and figure out how to heal my heart and my body at the same time. How am I doing to do this?" The flight attendant sensed my grief and bumped me to a first class seat. As I sat there sobbing, a gentle, loving man sat down next to me. It was Dennis Blackburn. He talked me through that difficult flight back to SLC and gave me comfort with his words that I will always remember.

Nearly every Christmas, we have corresponded. I have been able to know of his growing family of 8 including their missions, marriages, and the birth of grandchildren. Dennis, in turn, has followed me through my years of chemotherapy, years in graduate school, my marriage, and the adoption of my two beautiful children. I only met him in person one time. But the impact that 1.5 hour flight from San Diego to SLC had on my life was eternal. Reading about his passing has brought back so many memories of that day and the difficult time that was for me in my life. He truly was an angel, I believe, sent to me to help me process those feelings of grief and loss and to make choices to begin to heal in the best ways. Wow. We never know how one person can really impact us. He was an amazing man. As I read his obituary and thought of his goodness and his life of service and love, I was not surprised.

I feel so thankful that I got to meet him and that he was there on that flight that day. He truly made a difference in my life. He taught me that there truly are angels among us.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=dennis-blackburn&pid=136195360


No comments: