I wanted to post the Christmas pics today, but noticed that Kent has my camera while he is out on client appointments. He's always taking pictures of clients' sofas, wall colors, lamps, windows, etc.
So Christmas has come and gone. That was fast! I get so excited for it right after Thanksgiving. I want the tree UP the day after Thanksgiving, things decorated, Christmas dishes exchanged for every day dishes immediately upon the first meal after Thanksgiving. So that's what we did. I think that my intention is to be so organized and ready. But it never fails, the semester always ends in a flurry of unexpected demands and meetings and by the time it's over, my kids are screaming for attention. "Please don't work today mom. Let's just do something FUN!" So I let the papers go (until the kids went to bed for several nights in a row) and had fun with my kids. Still, I didn't seem to get organized to do a Christmas card for the first time in 11 years. It felt so strange not to send one. I love receiving cards; it's so fun to get something happy in the mail for a change. Something other than bills and credit card applications thrills me.
But Christmas was fun and simple and perfect. The snow a couple of days before really got me in the Christmas mood. Making cookies with my kids, having the presents wrapped and under the tree 3 days before Christmas make it see to last longer. Christmas day was magical and fun. I loved it!
Then once Christmas is over, I'm over it. Done. DOWN went the tree, the decorations, the MESS...the day after Christmas. It was so nice to wake up on Sunday morning to a clean and tidy house. It really clears my head! :o) I'm lucky to have a husband who does all the work too. He's awesome!
So now we're having a fun week of being home, playing with friends and new games, enjoying our time AWAY from so many demands of school and schedules. Ahhhh. What a great week off.
I spent a lot of time this season thinking about people who are hurting. I really have been counting my blessings every single day. I read the paper, people's sweet blogs, meet with neighbors, and I never cease to be amazed at the incredible strength people have whose crosses are heavy to bear. It's inspiring! And as hard as 2009 has been for us, our problems have been minimal and temporary, compared to some of the whoppers around me. Yet, I will be THRILLED to kiss 2009 good-bye and ring in 2010! The number 10 is my lucky number, so I am HAPPY to be to the year 2010! Can't wait. A lot of new adventures await us and I am so excited to get started with new ventures and projects that have been brewing for a long time. Yippee. 2010: Bring it ON!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

1 comment:
Emily,
It's Stephanie Purcell (Mateer) and I'm not sure if you remember me from the few times I came to your family parties or not, but I remember you. I read your blog sometimes, and I think you are an amazing mom. I've been thinking about you quite a bit lately and how your kids came to you as miracles. We have been trying for little ones for over a year now with no luck. We've already had lots of tests and seen a few doctors. I know that probably doesn't seem like a long time to most people... but when you are going through it, it seems like forever! I just wanted to let you know that I look up to you and think that you are an amazing person, and an amazing mom! There truly are angels among us.
-Steph
Post a Comment